I'm taking a Fashion Trends and Cultural Costumes class. It's basically a history class with a big focus on what people were wearing! How interesting, huh?! We have a notebook assignment where we have to find examples of the clothing we study. We also have to find modern adaptations of specific pieces. I was surprised how easy it was. I thought I'd share tidbits of what I've learned and modern adaptations that I've found.
Egypt Costume (2900-1090 BC): Civilization was highly developed and sophisticated. They lived in nice homes and ate a variety of foods. They were very clean and had good health. Men and women were equals.
Their bodies were considered beautiful and nakedness was acceptable. The fabric they used was very sheer.
Greek Costume (1600-146 BC): Athens was center of Western Civilization art, culture, and fashion. Greeks were very focused on beauty, the body, and physical perfection. Their homes had exercise rooms! 
Roman Costume (750BC - 476 AD): Romans were conquerors and ruled most of the known world. They were highly class conscious. Women were Not citizens of Rome.
(clothing found at Anthropologie and Free People)


4 comments:
Kristine, I love this! Everything you say is true. I would highly recommend shiff's latest bio on cleopatra. Its so true about the Egyptians / Alexandria.
http://www.thebrightbit.com/?p=1185
Remember when you did a similar thing at byui, and you did something really cool, and the other girls brought in pioneer dresses. I'm glad you finally found your place. this is awesome and so are you.
Here's a great resource: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc
This is awesome!! Amazing to see the styles WAY back inspiring our fashions today.
Post a Comment